use this resource to answer the following questions:
Self- Portraits and Portraits of the Self Online
1. Are there parts of the article that you agree with or identify with? What are they? Describe why you identify or agree with them.
2. Are there parts of the article that you disagree with? What are they? Describe why you disagree with them.
3. Do you make a distinction between the photographs you take for this course and the photographs you would post on Facebook, Instagram or other social media sites? If so why? If not, why not?
4. After reading this article, what is your definition of a self-portrait? Is it the same as a selfie?
5. In the article, the author mentions American author Mark Twain and his affinity for self-portraits. Explain the reasoning given in the article for why Mark Twain liked self-portraits.
6. This is a quote from the article: “The way in which photographs are interpreted and understood is beyond the scope of what is ‘in’ the photograph: photographs are not simply the things they represent, but must be read through the culture that creates and consumes them.” Explain what this quote means to you.