Swamped with your writing assignments? Take the weight off your shoulder!
Submit your assignment instructions
PLEASE CHOOSE ONE AND WATCH TED TALK
1. To evaluate a public speaker
2. To demonstrate understanding of public speaking concepts
Assignment Select one of the two speeches offered on Blackboard. The purpose of your paper is to evaluate the speaker and the presentation and convince your audience whether to watch this speech or not.
Format: No less than two (2) and no more than four (4) pages in length in Times New Roman 12-point font with 1-inch margins, double space (22 lines per page). Paper should adhere to the conventions of academic writing.
Structure and Requirements
• Address all the following questions.
• Use the question numbers as a guide to structure your work.
• Use vocabulary from the textbook
• Bold or underline, or highlight each concept. For example, “the speaker made eye contact with the audience.”
• Provide specific examples from the speaker’s words and body language to illustrate your points. For example, the speaker smiles when she says,” trees help each other.”
I. Introduction (one paragraph) 5pts
1. State the name of the speaker.
2. State the date and location of the speech. (Include any context surrounding the speech that may inform the purpose and content of the speech.)
3. Present the speaker’s credentials.
4. State your thesis which should offer an evaluation of the content and quality of the speech.
II. Content (several paragraphs): For each of the following, first refer specifically to examples from the textbook. Then, explain if and how they are employed by the speaker. 50pts
1. How does the speaker gain the attention of the audience in the introduction?
2. How does the speaker connect to the audience and establishes credibility or trust?
3. What is the thesis of the speech? Explain if the thesis is informative or persuasive.
4. Does the speaker include a preview of the main points? Does the speaker tell us how they will discuss the topic?
5. How is the speech organized? (Cause/effect – problem/solution – problem/cause/solution, or other)
6. What are the main points developed in the speech? Please be specific.
7. What types of supporting materials does the speaker use? (Statistics, facts, analogies, etc.)
8. How effectively does the evidence support each of the main points?
9. How effective is the conclusion?
10. How creative is the speaker’s use of language? (Formality, vivid images, use of metaphors and similes)
III. Delivery (about one paragraph): For each of the following, first refer specifically to advice given to the textbook, then explain if and how the recommendations are employed by the speaker. 10pts
1. Vocal Elements
2. Physical Elements
IV. Response (about one paragraph) 10pts
1. Include several effective elements you have used or would like to improve on in future presentations.
2. Explain what you learned from the content of the speech and its relevance to you.
3. Discuss any other reactions you had to the speech.
V. Conclusion (one paragraph) 5pts
1. Write a statement or two that sums up your analysis and evaluation of the event.